Keyword Optimization Tips and Guidelines
Keywords include additional words or phrases that describe a product and could be used by a customer searching for the item.
As a best practice for search optimization, its important to always use clear, relevant keywords in your Product Name, Bullet Points, and Description fields in DistributorCentral. Keyword attributes are intended to compliment those fields and provide users additional ways to find your product using words that may or may not be included in the Product Name, Bullet points, or Description.
- An item with the word “tumbler” in the title might have supplemental keyword attributes including mug, coffee mug, travel mug, etc.
- An item with the word “pen” in the title might have supplemental keyword attributes including ballpoint, click pen, writing instrument, ink, etc.
- An item with the word “polo” in the title might have supplemental keyword attributes including shirt, collar, golf, uniform, etc.
DO's of adding and optimizing keywords for you product:
- Do use all 5 keywords.
- Do be as precise as possible (two-word phrases are acceptable). Your keywords should match what your customer's use to search for your product as precisely as possible.
- Do use the singular form of the keyword (i.e. "glass" not "glasses") .
- Do use words related to the product. This helps users find your product faster and easier.
- Do start your keywords with an alphanumeric character.
- Do use our keyword suggestions, found within the keyword manager, for potential product keywords based off of actual search terms used to find your product.
DO NOT's of adding and optimizing keywords for your product:
- Don't leave a keyword slot empty, you could be missing out an opportunity to help customers find your products.
- Don't use sentence form.
- Don't add plural variations. The search will include plural forms of the singular form keyword automatically (i.e. if you add the keyword " glass", our system will match this to a search term for "glasses" as well as "glass").
- Don't use keywords that do not directly relate to your product.
- Don't start your keyword with symbols.
- Don't use copyrighted, registered, or trademarked names. If you carry a license to use specific registered words/ key phrases, then please contact DistributorCentral so we can retain a copy of such license on file